Connect with us

Security

Bandits Kill Two Vigilantes in Sokoto Attack

Published

on

bandit

Sokoto bandit attack Bargaja leaves two vigilantes dead as residents flee after an overnight assault linked to fighters loyal to Bello Turji

Armed bandits have killed at least two local vigilantes and forced residents to flee Bargaja town in Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State following a deadly overnight assault.

Advertisement

Also readBandits Kill Resident, Abduct Others in Kankara, Katsina

Local sources said the attackers stormed Bargaja at about 1:30 a.m. on Sunday, triggering widespread panic as villagers escaped to safer locations, including Sokoto metropolis and neighbouring communities.

A security analyst, Bashiru Altine Giyawa, confirmed the incident and said the town had previously resisted repeated attacks by fighters loyal to notorious bandit leader Bello Turji.

According to Bashiru Altine Giyawa, members of the community’s vigilante group confronted the attackers in a fierce gun battle while attempting to repel the invasion.

Advertisement

“The vigilante group confronted the bandits in a fierce exchange of gunfire. Unfortunately, two vigilantes lost their lives during the confrontation,” Bashiru Altine Giyawa said.

The victims were identified as Umaru Biri and Garba Mumminu, who reportedly died from gunshot wounds sustained during the clash.

Residents said several bandits were also killed during the firefight, but their bodies were allegedly removed by fellow fighters and taken into nearby forest hideouts.

Advertisement

Bargaja, located in eastern Sokoto State, has in recent years faced repeated attacks linked to networks operating in the region, particularly those associated with Bello Turji.

Eyewitnesses described the situation in the town as tense, with many families hurriedly packing belongings and leaving amid fears of further violence.

Correspondents observed groups of displaced residents, mostly women and children, boarding vehicles and departing the community as insecurity continued to spread.

Advertisement

When contacted, the spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force in Kebbi State, Ahmed Rufai, said the command had seen a video circulating on social media regarding the attack.

Ahmed Rufai said the police were investigating the situation to determine the exact circumstances surrounding the incident.

The police spokesperson added that security agencies were working to restore calm and ensure the safety of residents in the affected area.

Advertisement

Also read: Katsina Troops Neutralise Three Armed Bandits

The latest Sokoto bandit attack Bargaja has heightened concerns among residents over persistent insecurity in parts of north-western Nigeria, where communities continue to face raids, killings and displacement linked to armed groups.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Security

Oyo School Abductors Open Talks Amid Rising Fear

Published

on

Oyo

Oyo school abductors have opened communication channels as fear spreads across communities over kidnapped pupils and teachers

(more…)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending