Connect with us

news

Kebbi Pledges Support for Families of 10 Slain Police Officers

Published

on

Kebbi

Governor Nasir Idris promises assistance after terrorists ambushed officers deployed to support security operations in Sakaba Local Government Area

Kebbi State Governor Nasir Idris on Tuesday, August 11, 2026, pledged government support for the families of 10 police officers and others killed in a terrorist ambush along the Rafin Makuku axis of Sakaba Local Government Area, as the Nigeria Police Force vowed to bring those responsible to justice.

Advertisement

Also read: Kebbi Police Arrest 2 Over Military Recruits’ Abduction

Idris made the pledge at the Government House in Birnin Kebbi while receiving a delegation sent by the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Rilwan Disu, and led by the Deputy Inspector-General of Police in charge of Operations, Umar Shehu-Nadada.

The governor condoled with the Nigeria Police Force and the families of the fallen personnel, describing their deaths as a painful loss suffered while serving the country.

The officers had been operating in the area to support sister security agencies in efforts to curb terrorism, according to the governor.

Advertisement

“I want to condole the IGP and the NPF over the sudden death of these officers,” Idris said.

“It is our tradition in Kebbi to assist the families of fallen officers who died in the line of duty. The Kebbi Government will come to the aid of the families of these officers who paid the supreme price.”

The pledge provides a measure of support to families left behind by the attack, while also underscoring the risks faced by security personnel operating in parts of Kebbi affected by terrorist and bandit activity.

Advertisement

The Police delegation conveyed Disu’s condolences to Governor Idris, the people of Kebbi and the relatives of the officers who died in the ambush.

Representing the Inspector-General, Shehu-Nadada assured the state government that the police would intensify efforts to identify and apprehend the attackers.

“Please be rest assured that we are not going to relent in our efforts. All the attackers will be arrested and brought to book,” he said.

Advertisement

The police leadership also commended the Kebbi Government for its continued support for security operations in the state.

Shehu-Nadada disclosed that a new police squadron would soon be established in Kebbi, a move expected to strengthen the force’s operational presence and response capacity in the state.

The development comes against a wider security challenge in Kebbi, where police and other security agencies have continued to conduct operations against armed groups.

Advertisement

In February 2025, for example, police said operatives in the state tracked suspected kidnappers to the Tundafari Forest area of Dakingari after a resident was abducted in Gobiraje Village, Suru Local Government Area.

The operation resulted in four suspected kidnappers being killed, another being arrested and the victim being rescued unharmed.

Police have also previously highlighted the value of cooperation between security agencies and local communities in tackling criminal networks in the state. In April 2025, a combined police and vigilante operation rescued a 23-year-old university student who had been abducted in Kalgo Local Government Area.

Advertisement

The latest attack has therefore renewed attention on the demands placed on security personnel deployed to remote areas, where difficult terrain and the mobility of armed groups can complicate operations.

For the families of the 10 officers, however, the immediate concern is the loss of relatives who were serving away from home.

Idris’s pledge reflects Kebbi’s stated tradition of supporting families of personnel killed while carrying out official duties, while the police response signals a determination to pursue the perpetrators.

Advertisement

The planned establishment of another police squadron could further increase the force’s operational footprint in the state as security agencies seek to prevent similar attacks.

For Kebbi, the challenge now extends beyond bringing those responsible to justice. It also involves strengthening the security structures needed to protect personnel and residents in vulnerable communities.

Also read: Kebbi Raises Fresh Terror Group Alarm Over Sai Malam

As investigations and security operations continue, the pledge of assistance from the state government offers some immediate reassurance to the families of the fallen officers, while the police face the more difficult task of turning their promise of accountability into arrests and prosecutions.

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Israeli Advisor Calls for Biafra Freedom, IPOB Hails Move

Published

on

Israeli

Noga Arbel criticises British policy in Nigeria as separatist group welcomes Channel 14 broadcast

(more…)

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending