Iraola says Liverpool wing options must improve as the Reds prepare for life without Mohamed Salah and Sunday’s Premier League opener at Newcastle
Andoni Iraola, Liverpool manager, said on Friday, August 21, 2026, that Liverpool need to strengthen their wing options as the club prepares for Sunday’s Premier League opener against Newcastle United at St James’ Park.
Iraola, who arrived from Bournemouth during the close season to replace Arne Slot, faces the demanding task of reshaping a Liverpool side that has undergone significant changes since winning the Premier League title two seasons ago.
The Spanish coach acknowledged that Liverpool do not currently have enough established options on the flanks, particularly after the departure of Mohamed Salah.
“In terms of what we need, there are certain situations that, for me, are clear, especially on the wing because we do not have enough players able to play in those positions,” Iraola told reporters on Friday.
Salah’s departure represents one of the most significant changes to Liverpool’s attacking structure.
The Egypt international joined Turkish club Trabzonspor earlier this month after a remarkable Anfield career that produced 257 goals and major honours, including Premier League and Champions League titles.
The 34-year-old forward had been a central figure in Liverpool’s attack since 2016-17, making his absence particularly significant as Iraola prepares for his first competitive match in charge.
Liverpool have brought in Victor Munoz during the summer and retain Federico Chiesa and teenage winger Rio Ngumoha as attacking options.
However, an injury to Hugo Ekitike and uncertainty surrounding Cody Gakpo have further complicated Iraola’s choices.
The manager made clear that Liverpool’s recruitment should not simply be about filling positions. Iraola wants additions capable of raising the overall quality of the squad.
“It is not about signing a player because we need someone in a particular position. No. It is about improving the squad,” he said. “We have very good players already here, so to improve, you need a specific level of player.”
Liverpool’s rebuilding task extends beyond the attack.
Centre-back Ibrahima Konate has moved to Real Madrid, while left-back Andrew Robertson has joined Tottenham, leaving Iraola to replace considerable experience alongside the attacking influence lost with Salah.
Liverpool finished fifth in the Premier League last season, a sharp decline from their title-winning campaign the previous year.
Iraola has therefore inherited a squad that requires both tactical adjustment and a renewed competitive edge.
The former Bournemouth manager arrives with considerable credit after guiding Bournemouth to European qualification last season through an energetic and tactically adventurous style.
At Liverpool, Iraola will be expected to restore that intensity while competing for the Premier League title against a field strengthened by substantial investment across the division.
The transfer window remains open until September 1, leaving Liverpool with time to pursue further reinforcements.
Iraola, however, insists his immediate attention is on Newcastle rather than the uncertainty surrounding potential transfers.
“You have seen the very good players that we have right now in the building, so we can be competitive from the beginning,” he said.
That opening fixture will offer an early indication of how quickly Iraola can impose his ideas on a team entering a new era.
For Liverpool, the challenge is particularly striking. The club must move forward without a player who helped define its modern identity while finding enough attacking depth to remain a formidable force.
Iraola’s call for stronger Liverpool wing options therefore reflects a broader rebuilding project, one in which youth, recruitment and tactical adaptation will all be crucial to the club’s ambitions this season.