Troops of the 4 Brigade rescued 11 victims along the Lagos-Benin Expressway before recovering three others during a follow-up forest operation
The Nigerian Army has rescued 14 kidnapped victims in Edo State after troops of the 4 Brigade, under the 2 Division and deployed for Operation WABAIZIGAN, mounted a swift pursuit of suspected kidnappers along the Lagos-Benin Expressway.
The successful operation took place in Ovia North-East Local Government Area after troops responding to credible intelligence about a kidnapping incident launched a determined pursuit of the fleeing criminals.
The Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, 4 Brigade Nigerian Army, Benin City, Lt. Col. Kennedy Anyanwu, disclosed the development in a statement on Friday, July 31, 2026.
Anyanwu said the operation began at about 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 30, when troops on routine patrol received information about the abduction.
According to him, the soldiers immediately pursued the kidnappers along their withdrawal route, applying sustained pressure that forced the criminals to abandon 11 of their victims before escaping into the surrounding forest.
“In a follow-up clearance operation conducted on 31 July 2026, the troops aggressively combed the forest and successfully rescued the remaining three victims, bringing the total number of rescued victims to 14,” Anyanwu said.
The development represents a significant operational success for the Army, particularly along one of the region’s major transport corridors, where kidnapping incidents have previously raised concerns over the safety of commuters.
Following preliminary debriefing and medical assessments, all 14 rescued victims were confirmed to be in stable condition, according to the Army.
The victims were subsequently reunited with their families or permitted to continue their respective journeys, depending on their individual circumstances.
The Army said efforts were continuing to track and apprehend the suspected kidnappers who fled into the forest during the operation.
Anyanwu described the rescue as evidence of the Army’s operational readiness and intelligence-led approach to tackling kidnapping and other violent crimes.
He also urged residents to continue providing timely and credible information to security agencies, stressing that cooperation from communities remains vital to sustaining security operations and preventing criminal elements from establishing safe havens.
The Commander, 4 Brigade Nigerian Army, Brig.-Gen. Ahmed Balogun, commended the troops for what he described as their professionalism, proactive posture, resilience and courage during the operation.
Balogun reassured residents of Edo State and commuters travelling within the brigade’s area of responsibility that the Army remained committed to protecting lives and property.
He said troops would sustain aggressive operations aimed at denying criminal elements freedom of action and securing the environment for law-abiding citizens.
The rescue comes amid continuing security concerns across parts of Nigeria, where military and other security agencies have intensified operations against kidnapping, banditry and other forms of violent crime.
For the 14 victims, however, the operation brought a powerful moment of relief after a frightening ordeal, allowing them to return safely to their families or resume their journeys.